Friday, August 5, 2016

My Story


Yesterday I was released from the hospital after a 3 day stay. First, I should probably explain that I am a type 2 diabetic and I also have Supraventricular Tachycardia, also known as SVT. It was actually the super fast heartbeat that landed me in the emergency room. I was informed that the fast heartbeat, sweating, dizziness and nausea that I'd experienced meant there was a possibility that I could have had a silent heart attack.

I was shocked to find out that a woman could even have a silent heart attack , but apparently  a diabetic woman can. The cardiologist recommended that I have a procedure done called Cardiac Catheterization which unfortunately revealed two major blockages in two of my arteries.

What I've learned is that Coronary Artery Disease (CAD) is a process in which the heart (coronary) arteries narrow or become blocked from the development of atherosclerosis. Atherosclerosis is a disease in which plaque builds up on the inside of the heart arteries  coronary arteries) and the scariest news of all is that CAD can lead to a bigger and deadlier heart attack.

Needless to say, that was my wake up call. Because of my health issues, I immediately decided to change my eating habits for good and become a Pescetarian. However, my goal is to eventually transition to a whole foods, plant based diet.

I have learned that eating healthy, especially when choosing a plant based diet, can completely reverse heart disease. I've been watching a lot of health documentaries on Netflix and every day, I'll share those titles below along with my daily progress.

So, here goes, the start of my healthy eating journey.


Day 1
Friday

Breakfast - Oatmeal with honey, raisins, cinnamon and walnuts,
and a hot cup of green tea with honey
Snack - Strawberries / Green tea with honey
Lunch - Garlic hummus on whole wheat with lettuce, tomatoes / side of cantaloupe
Snack - 1/2 cup yogurt with granola
Dinner - Green drink  w/ kale, carrots, apples and cantaloupe
and a baked sweet potato with butter on the side

Energy Level - 6
Water Intake - 3 cups
Fruits - 4
Veggies- 5
Grains - Yes, Oatmeal
Beans - Not today
Daily Exercise - Exercise is against doctors orders for now, having just left the hospital.
Inspirational Program To Keep Me Motivated- Plant Pure Nation (Netflix)

Notes - Unfortunately,  I had very little control over what I was able to eat during my hospital stay. I didn't prepare the food and I wasn't given a menu during my time there. Now that I'm back home, I'm happy to be in full control of my life and my health. I feel really good about my food choices today and I'm looking forward to doing even better tomorrow.

m-n-ms:

From imgfave.com

No comments:

Post a Comment